Sunday, September 14, 2008

This week in Utila- by Kathryn

I am continually intrigued by the Utilan culture. Things are so different from the US. For example, last night, they had a parade through the streets, complete with a marching band. These parades have been happening at random times. The first week we got here there was one at 5am. I think it is in preparation for their independence day which is September 15.
I am occasionally annoyed by some of the things people do here, though. A few people in particular. Our neighbors find it convenient to blare their music at all hours of the night. They have it so loud that what we hear sounds like a normal volume. I can only imagine how loud it is for them. It wouldn't even be quite so bad if I didn't have to get up early for a morning dive. And since there is no one to complain to about the noise, I began praying for the next best thing. A power outage. I never thought I would ever pray for a power outage in my entire life. I love electricity and I miss having it to power AC. But that is beside the point. we did get a power outage last night. Lori and I were so happy we went to go to bed. But as soon as we laid down, the power was back on and so was their music, louder than ever.
Diving was as amazing as I thought it would be, or would have been if I hadn't been sick. Breathing under water is awesome. The regulator sounds like Darth Vader. The fish swim all around you. You are in another world. Our second dive site yesterday was called the Moonhole. We got to do all sorts of flips and tricks. We even did some matrix moves. The Mills will be going with us on one of our fun dives where we will take pictures. Sadly though, the rest of our dives have been postponed since Tatiana, our wonderful dive instructor, blew out her eardrum on one of her dives. She has to go to La Ceiba for surgery. Pray that the surgery will go well and her ear will get better.
I got to play the piano at VBS this week. Even though there is a language barrier, music is universally understood. Even at church, where I don't understand much, I understand music. A lot of songs are the same as in the States.
Well my time is up. I hope everything is going well in the States and that nobody is getting hit to badly by all the hurricanes.
Until Next time, Hasta la vista baby.

Here are some pics:


"Leah wants to eat grapes with Kathryn."


Leah jumping off the dock at
Parrots Dive Center.


After swimming.


Crabs are to Utila as Fire-ants are to Texas!


Nightime walk to the beach.

UPDATE! Independence Day (September 15th) photos now posted :)


Trying to stay cool watching the parade.


Kids walking in the Independence Day Parade.


This little girl loved Mrs. Mills' hat.


Amanda labeled the parts of the body on Leah
in Spanish. She proudly wore them on her body
all day.


Climbing up the Utila water tower.


View from the top of the water tower.


Watching fireworks.


Resting in the "bunk hammocks" after a long
day.

No comments: